admin
Site Admin

Does someone who talks during jumah khutba have to make dhuhr instead of jumah salat?

Question:

Sometimes when I smell people wearing perfume I worry that it has alcohol in it and I begin to taste it in my mouth. Because of this I tend to rinse my mouth several times or if no bathroom is around I just don't swallow. Is this correct?
Also, does someone who talks during jumah khutba have to make dhuhr instead of jumah salat? Do I have repeat the salat?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, The Most Merciful

Assalamuallaykum sister,

There is nothing wrong in swallowing. We must understand the dealing or consuming intoxicating alcohol purposely is haram. You are not responsible if someone wears perfume and the fact that you feel the taste in your mouth just by smelling it, it is extreme. The Prophet (swa) forbade us to be extremist in Islam when he (swa) said: " halaka almutanatu'un". Meaning, "Allah doesn't love those who are extremist". For instance, extremist people perform stinya (washing the private parts) when pass a dry gas when only wooduh is required. We should avoid this type of behavior.

Regarding your second question, no, a person who speaks unnecessarily (you can speak in case of an emergency) during Jummah doesn’t have to make Duhr salat or make up the prayer. The speaking during the khutba only minimizes the reward of the Jummah. See Hadith below:

Narrated Salman-Al-Farsi (r.a.):
The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, "Whoever takes a bath on Friday, purifies himself as much as he can, then uses his (hair) oil or perfumes himself (men only) with the scent of his house, then proceeds (for the Jumma prayer) and does not separate two persons sitting together (in the mosque), then prays as much as (Allah has) written for him and then remains silent while the Imam is delivering the Khutba, his sins in-between the present and the last Friday would be forgiven." (Bukhari).

Jazakallah khyer.

Skh. Mostafa

Return to “Islamic Manners”