admin
Site Admin

Do I need permission to enter the room of my sisters, brothers, or parents?

Question:

Asalamualaikum I have a nine year old nephew but he is related to me by marriage - he is my sister's husband's son- do I have to cover in front of him?
Also I remember a verse from the Quran where Allah commands us not to enter other people's houses without first asking permission- does this apply when I want to enter the room of my sisters, brothers, or parents?

Answer:

In the name of Allah the Ever-Merciful

Assalamu alikum sister,

You don’t have to cover yourself on the front of your brother’s son because he, is from your Maharem (those who are not lawful to you in marriage for ever) please review Surat- An-Noor(24-31): “And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband´s fathers, their sons, their husbands´ sons, their brothers or their brothers´ sons, or their sisters´ sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex;…….”

Second question: the answer also is in surat- An-Noor(24-27), Allah said:

(27) “O ye who believe! Enter not houses other than your own, until ye have asked permission and saluted those in them: that is best for you, in order that ye may heed (what is seemly). This ayat revealed because it will be forbidden to enter a house which is not yours (Relatives or not relatives)”.

But, if we will speak about entering a room in the same house; Allah has mentioned that in different ayats in the holy Quran (An-Noor24-58): (59) “But when the children among you come of age, let them (also) ask for permission, as do those senior to them (in age): Thus does Allah make clear His Signs to you: for Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom”. Therefore, this applies for those who reach the age of puberty or adulthood; they are not allowed to enter the room of married sisters, single or married brothers, or parents except with permissions.

Allah knows the best.

Shk. Mostafa

Return to “Islamic Manners”