admin
Site Admin

Does Allah have a face?

Question:

Assalamu aleykum sheikh:

I have recently watched a video where one guy was explaining that the AQIDA of our scholars in Islam like Ibn Baaz, Ibn Taimiya and sheikh Albani is totally wrong. Why? Because in their opinion Allah is on the Arch, has two hands,two eyes, soul and that He is coming down from the sky. So this guy considers that this is totally wrong and more than that, he brings a lot of Daleel in his explanations. For example he says that Imam Ahmad ibn Hambal said: "That whoever says that Allah is a body, but different kind of body, than He is a not a believer".(Tashniful Masa'mi) Also imam Ali ibn abu Talib said:"That Allah was without a place before creating a place, and that still He is the way He was".(Abu Mansur Al Bagdadi in the book "Al farqu baynal farq". And also Abu Hanifa in his book "Al Fikh Al Absat", has said that:"Allah Has existed before creating a place and He was existing when there was no place and no creation; and He is the Creator of everything. There are many other dalils that show that nobody knows where Allah is and how is He, because we are limited in this understanding.

So sheikh can you make it clear for me?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, The Most Forgiving.

Wa-alaykum assalam brother,

First: If majority of the Ummah agreed upon that these groups of Oulama are the best, the greatest scholars and the most trusted in knowledge and Aqida, then who is this person to decide who is good and who is bad? What kind of knowledge he has?

Second: According to your statement, this person says that it is Oulama’s “opinion” that Allah is on the Arch; this is not correct. This is not their opinion, this is what Allah (SW) has described in the Holy Quran about where His place is after He created the Heavens and earth. Please review Surah Al-Baqarah (2-29), Surah Al-Araaf(7-54): "Indeed your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He Istawa (rose over) the Throne( really in a manner that suits His Majesty)” also review Surah Al-Rahman (20-5).

Third: Imam Ahmad ibn Hambal said: "That whoever says that Allah is a body, but different kind of body than He, is a not a believer". (Tashniful Masa'mi) Also imam Ali ibn abu Talib said:"That Allah was without a place before creating a place, and still He is the way he was". That's correct because Allah says in Quran in Surah A'Shoura (42-11): ”There is nothing like Him; and He is the All-Hearer, the All- Seer”. Also we believe that there was nothing before Allah and nothing will be remained except his Face”. Review Surah AL-Rahman (55-27):"And the Face of your Lord full of Majesty and Honor will remain forever". That's also proof two things: 1- Allah Has Face, nothing looks like Him and 2- nothing will be remained except Him (SW).

Related to the question if Allah has two hands, eyes, face, hearing and seeing, the answer is yes, of course, please review all these Ayat:

Surah Al-Maidah (5-64);"Nay, both His Hands are widely outstretched, He spends( of His Bounty).
Surah Al-Fath (48-10):"Verily, those who give Bai-Ah (Pledge) to you (O Muhammad (pbuh) they are giving Bai-ah (pledge) to Allah. The Hand of Allah is over their hands.
Surah Taha (20-39):"And I endued you with love from me, in order that you may be brought up under My Eye", Allah said that when He inspired to the mother of Musa to put him into box or case into the river.
Surah Taha (20-46) mentions that Allah (SW) hear and sees: "He (Allah) said fear not verily I am with you both hearing & seeing".
Surah Ghafer (40-20):"Verily Allah is The All Hearer and the All- Seer.
Surah Al-Rahman (55-27): Allah described himself that He has a Face, Allah said "And the Face of your Lord full of Majesty And Honour will remain forever".
Surah A'Shoura (42-11) described that Allah (sw) as "there is nothing like Him and He is the All-Hearer and All- Seer".

Finally, the Aqida for Ahlu- Assouna- Wa-Algamah to believe in the names and descriptions which Allah used for Himself and described Himself with, it is part of Tawheed.

We have to study our deen and we need to avoid disputes and arguments without knowledge. May Allah teach all of us and guide us for the truth.

Allah knows best.

Sheikh Mostafa

Return to “Beliefs”