admin
Site Admin

Is Al-Kidr still alive?

Question:

Is Al-Kidr still alive? Can you tell me the story of of prophet Musa (pbuh) and Al-Kidr?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, The Ever-Merciful.

Narrated Sa,id bin Jubair: i said to ibn Abbas. "Nauf Al-bikali claims that Musa (MOSES), The companion of Al-khidr was not the Musa (Moses) of the children of Israel." ibn Abbas said, "the enemy of Allah (NAUF) Told a lie." Narrated Ubayy bin ka'ab that he heard Allah's Messenger s.a.w. Saying, "Musa (Moses) got up to deliver a speech before the children of Israel and he was asked, "Who is the most learned person among the people?' Musa (Moses) replied, "i (am the most learned)," Allah revealed to him: 'at the junction of the two seas there is a slave of ours who is more learned than you.

'Musa (Moses) asked, 'o my Lord, how can i meet him? Allah said, take a fish and put it in a basket and then proceed . So Musa (Moses) set out, along with his boy servant Yusha bin Nun, till they reached a rock (on which) they both lay their heads and slept. The fish moved vigorously in the basket and got out of it and fell into the sea and there it took its way through the sea as in a tunnel.

Allah stopped the current of water on both sides of the way created by the fish, and so that way was like a tunnel. When Musa (Moses) got up, his companion forgot to tell him about the fish, and so they carried on their journey during the rest of the day and the whole night.

The next morning Musa (Moses) asked his boy servant "bring us our morning meal; truly, we have suffered much fatigue in this our journey. Musa (Moses) did not get tired till he had passed the place which Allah had ordered him to seek after. His boy servant then said to him, 'do you remember when we betook ourselves to the rock? I indeed forgot the fish; none but Satan made me forget to remember it. It took its course into the sea in a strange (way) there was a tunnel for the fish and for Musa (Moses) and his boy servant there was astonishment. Musa (Moses) said, "that is what we have been seeking. So, they went back retracing their footsteps. They both returned, retracing their steps till they reached the rock. Behold! There they found a man covered with a garment. Musa (Moses) greeted him. Al-khidr said astonishingly, is there such a greeting in your land Musa (Moses) said, 'i am Musa (Moses)' he said, 'are you the Musa (Moses) of the children of Israel? Musa (Moses) said, "yes; and added, 'i have come to you so that you may teach me something of that knowledge which you have been taught. Al-khidr said, 'you will not be able to have patience with me.

O Musa (Moses)! I have some of Allah's knowledge which he has bestowed upon me but you do not know it; and you too, have some of Allah's knowledge which he has bestowed upon you, but i do not know it.' Musa (Moses) said, if Allah wills, you will find me patient, and i will not disobey you in aught,' Al-khidr said to him. Then, if you follow me, ask me not about anything till i myself mention it to you.

After that both of them proceeded along the seacoast. The crew recognized Al-khidr and allowed them to get on board. Free of charge. When they got on board, suddenly Musa (Moses) saw that Al-khidr had pulled out one of the planks of the ship with an adze. Musa (Moses) said to him, "these people gave up a free lift, yet you have scuttled their ship so as to drown its people! Verily you have committed a thing bad. Al-khidr said, 'did i not tell you, that you would not be able to have patience with me? Musa (Moses) said, 'call me not to account for what i forgot, and be not hard upon me for my affair (with you) Allah's messenger said, "the first excuse given by Musa (Moses), was that he had forgotten. Then a sparrow came and sat over the edge of the ship and dipped its beak once in the sea Al-khidr said to Musa (Moses), 'my knowledge and your knowledge, compared to Allah's knowledge is like what this sparrow has taken out of the sea. Then they both got out of the ship, and while they were walking on the seashore, Al-khidr saw a boy playing with other boys. Al-khidr got hold of the head of that boy and pulled it out with his hands and killed him. Musa (Moses) said, 'have you killed an innocent person who had killed none! Verily, you have committed a thing prohibited, he said, did i not tell you that you can have no patience with me? Musa (Moses) said, "if i ask you anything after this, keep me not in your company; you have recieved an excuse from me. Then they both proceeded till when they came to the people of a town. They asked them for food but they refused to entertain then. (then) They found there a wall about to collapse. Set it up straight with his own hands. Musa (Moses) said, "we came to these people, but they neither fed us nor receivede us as guests. If you had wished, you could surely have exacted some recompense for it. (Al-khidr) said, this is the parting between me and you, (pleare read Qur'an 18:79, 80-82 below) that is the interpretation of those (things) over which you could not hold patience. Allah's messenger said, "we wish Musa (Moses) had more patience so that Allah might have described to us more about story [sahih al-bukhar 6/4725]

أما السفينة فكانت لمساكن يعملون في البحر فأردت أن أعيبها وكان ورآءهم ملك يأخذ كل سفينت غصبا| وأما الغلا م فكان أبواه مؤمننين فخشينا أن يرهقهما طغيان وكفرا| فأردنا أن يبدلهما ربهما خيرا منه ركاة وأقرب رحما|

وأما الجدار فكان لغلامين يتيمين في المدينة وكان تحته كنز لهما وكان أبوهوما صالج فأراد ربك أن يبلغ أشدهما ويستخرجا كنزهما رحمة من ربك، وما فعلته عن أمرى، ذالك تأويل ما لم تستطع عليه صبر

TRANSLATION:

As for the ship, it belonged to needy people working in the sea . So i wished to make a effective damage in it, as there was a king behind them who seized every ship by force.

And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared lest he should oppress them by rebellion and disbelief.

So we intended that their Lord should change him for them for one better in righteousness and nearer to mercy.

And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the town; and there was under it a treasure belonging to them; and their father was a righteous man, and your Lord intended that they should attain their age of full strength and take out their treasure as a mercy from your Lord. And i did them not of my own accord. That is the interpretation of those (things) over which you could not hold patience" [Qur'an 18:79-82]

Source: shamsuddeen.com

Return to “Beliefs”